I Wish Someone Had Told Me That BEFORE My Wedding Day
Hindsight is 20/20, right? Here is a short list of helpful hints I wish I had known before my wedding day!
1. Do not actually wear your garter. They’re itchy and uncomfortable. Keep it under your chair at the reception until needed (you can ask your mother or your maid of honor to place it there for you). (Are you a DIY bride? You can even make your own garter!)
2. Select a color scheme that coordinates with your decorating taste in your home – your (very expensive) photographs and canvases from your wedding day will look like they were destined to hang above that fireplace mantel!
3. Your photographer will probably want to take photos of your wedding dress hanging somewhere before you put it on. Buy a nice hanger (those wire ones look terrible), or use one from the hotel if that’s where you’re getting ready. My wedding dress images are much more gorgeous hanging from a monogrammed hanger – find them here (insert hyperlink: http://www.weddinghangershop.com/)! Bridesmaids – this is such a cute bridal shower gift idea!
4. Keep mints, lip gloss, and tissues with you at all times. A wristlet with must-have items placed at your reception chair will do the trick! My wedding dress even had pockets. Again, ask a member of your family or wedding party to place any of these items under your chair – you’ll be glad they’re there!
5. Remember to pack your wedding night bag before the festivities begin and assign your maid of honor the task of making sure it makes it into your getaway car or your hotel room.
6. Apply for a credit card that has a rewards program right after you get engaged. You’ll be spending a lot of money during the wedding planning process – you might as well get some cash back or gift cards in return!
7. Some vendors accept only cash or check. Don’t solely depend on credit to pay your vendors!
Do you have any lesser-known tips for brides-to-be?
-Alison Ford, contributing editor