5 Personal Secrets From My Wedding Day
A few things occurred on my wedding day that only a select few know about – and I encourage all brides to keep a few secrets of their own! Here are five personal secrets from my own wedding:
1. I didn’t wash my hair on my wedding day. Both complicated and simple updos hold better with day-old hair! (Tip: The Knot has compiled helpful hints by weather type for managing your hair before an updo on your wedding day.)
2. I wore cheap, white platform flip flops under my wedding dress during the entire reception. This was an unbelievably smart move on my part – no one wants to be out on the dance floor with aching, tired feet! Wear your sexy heels for your getting ready shots and portraits, and ask a member of your wedding party to slip a more casual pair of shoes under your chair in the reception hall. I was so thrilled when I spotted those shoes under my chair when we sat down for dinner and happily danced the night away with my husband! (Tip: my wedding gown was hemmed for a gorgeous pair of 3-inch heels. Using a platform flip-flop rather than a flat sandal kept my dress from dragging across the floor all night.)
3. My groom accidentally saw me the morning of our wedding day. He was entering the lobby as I was escorting the photographer onto the elevator, and he didn’t share this little secret with me until we were tucked into bed after the festivities were over. “Honey, I have something to tell you” is not something a bride typically wants to hear on her wedding night, but my new husband sweetly telling me how beautiful I looked on the morning of our special day has ended up being one of my favorite wedding day memories.
4. My groom and I did a “first look” photo shoot right before our ceremony. None of our guests had any idea that we had already seen each other when the doors opened for my walk down the aisle, and this private time with our photographer resulted in some of our favorite wedding day images. I can sing the praises of doing a “first look” from here to eternity, but photographer Jenny of The Things We Blog lists seven of the most beneficial reasons for considering a “first look” for your own wedding: http://thethingswewouldblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/wedding-wednesday.html.
5. My wedding ring was not delivered until two weeks after the wedding was over. The stand-in ring we used was purchased in a panic for under $25 on the day of our ceremony rehearsal. None of our guests had any idea that my groom slipped an imposter on my finger during the exchanging of the rings. Things will go wrong. The best you can do is improvise and enjoy sharing a special secret with your new husband.
Do you have any secrets from your wedding day that you’d like to get off your chest? Brides-to-be: do you have any tricks up your sleeve that your wedding guests will never know about?
-Alison Ford, contributing editor
Stay tuned for Alison’s next post, 5 Things I Cut From My Wedding Budget